Saturday, August 13, 2011

It's been a year in the making but I have finally started getting things accomplished to start school! My dream has always been to go back to school and finish my degree in nursing.
So last July I applied and was accepted to a local community college. That's when things went a little askew. We traveled to Tennessee for two months, because Greg was going to be in Memphis for that time I thought it would be the perfect chance for the girls and I to visit family and do some renovations on mom's house. Things were going well, we spent some time in Memphis with Greg and got to see some wonderful friends. We started painting mom's 1960's era brown paneled kitchen.

Then one thing afer another started happening. My mom had a mild stroke and my grandmother was diagnosed with lung and breast cancer, within in a week of each other. I was half way through the reno job and running back and forth to the hospital. My goal of heading back to Virginia for placement tests and class scheduling was dead in the water. I decided that God knew I was needed in Tennessee much more than starting school. And besides when everything calmed down I could start in December.
Once again life threw a curve ball. Mom was doing great but my grandmother passed away. My dad was losing weight for no apparent reason. He dropped 50 pounds in three months. School would just have to wait, because I just didn't know what the next few months would hold. I really needed to be available to head to Tennessee at a moments notice.
Thankfully by April dad was starting to gain some weight, we still had no diagnosis but he was looking and feeling better.

Mom had found a new doctor and she was doing so great. So plans were in the works for school to start for the summer sememster but this time I dropped the ball. I missed the enrollment deadline! Oh well, I was going to be super busy anyway, with Bible school and a camp. I would go back to school one day.
That takes us to last week. I was getting excited about the girls going back to school, all of them will be in public school this year, and I was being asked "what are you going to do with all the free time?". I started wondering that myself. Then a sweet friend posted on Facebook that she had enrolled in college and had taken her placement tests. Thanks to her I jumped at the chance before life could trip me up and went to TCC and got the ball rolling. I am terrified and thrilled to be doing something that is going to change my life. I am shaking in my boots about doing math again but thankfully I married a math wizard! I am so excited that my dream for the last 20 years is finally starting to become a reality!

1 comment: