Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Yesterday, as I was waiting in line to register for my classes, I realized how old I really am. I mean I know the number age but I have always felt young and hip. LOL! But standing in that line gave me the opportunity to listen to all the conversations around me. Those gabfests were all involving someone's ex boyfriend, clothes, or how "s----y" it is to stand in line. I was struck by the apathy and lack of social courtesy. I mean, I know when I am waiting with my friends we all talk about stuff we deal with but, most adults don't drop the "f bomb" or other such foul word every other breath. Which leads me to my next revelation, most of the people standing in that line weren't adults. Yes, they were at least eighteen, which does technically mean they were adults, but they were just immature kids. I stood there wondering "was I that stupid twenty years ago when I first attempted college?". Surely not! I know I wasn't the brightest bulb but I did respect those around me when in a crowded place.
When I got home and I looked at my girls talking to each and being goofy. I smiled. Maybe I'm biased but they seemed more mature than most of those people I was waiting with. Oh how I hope that they will only grow in that maturity, that they will always be aware of those around them and respect them.

1 comment:

  1. Like, like, LIKE! I'm often struck by that very same thing when I'm out in crowds. Even now, at 4 and 2, I talk to the girls regularly about speaking quietly so others aren't forced to listen to our conversations. I'm always amazed (and embarrassed) by the things we hear supposed adults discussing loudly in public! And, by the way, it's not just your bias--your girls are mature and respectful!

    ReplyDelete